Setting ambitious 1.5°C science-based targets
We’re proud to be the first UK Distribution Network Operator to set science-based targets in line with a 1.5°C pathway.
The targets are in line with the level of decarbonisation required to meet the most ambitious goal of the Paris Agreement – to limit global warming to 1.5°C above pre-industrial levels.
Verified by the Science Based Targets initiative, we’re cutting emissions further and faster by:
- Committing to reduce our combined Scope 1 and 2 emissions by 55% by 2033 from a 2020 baseline
- Setting a voluntary target and committing to working closely with our supply chain so that 35% of our suppliers will set science-based targets by 2026.
Our aim is to create a fair and just decarbonised electricity network for the future.
Our plans require a clear understanding of the needs and vulnerabilities of our customers and stakeholders. During our extensive consultations, stakeholders have strongly and consistently emphasised their desire for us to show ambition and leadership in sustainability and exceed Ofgem environmental requirements.
We will set out a clear vision to ‘accelerate’ net zero for our electricity network. Our work will support Government’s net zero targets and enable our customers and stakeholders to start this journey.
We have five ambitions that support our net zero goals:
- Serving the Public Interest
- The Net Zero Transition
- Enhancing Our Local Environment
- Inclusive Service Provision
- Investing in People