Your browser does not support JavaScript or has it disabled. To enable full functionality of this site it is necessary to enable JavaScript.
  • Connections Information - Legal Consents and Agreements

    Find copies of our contracts, information what legal consents, why they are needed, the process to secure them and downloadable guidance and contacts

  • Land Consents

  • Central southern wayleave guide

  • Northern Scotland wayleave guide

  • Information for ICPs and IDNOs

    Find process information, requirements and documents for ICPs and IDNOs when securing land consents

    Find out more
  • What are they?

    They are the rights we require to install and maintain our equipment on privately owned land, and usually take the form of a wayleave agreement (a licence) or an easement (a deed) for cabling and poles. For substation equipment land rights usually take the form of a transfer or lease.

    Why do we need them?

    We need land rights to install and thereafter use, maintain and renew our equipment on privately owned land. All land rights must be in place before we install and energise a connection to our network.



    We don’t need land consents when an Independent Connection Provider (ICP) installs equipment in a public highway or in land laid out to form part of a public highway

    What other consents are needed?

    We are sometimes required to obtain other permissions in order to comply with legislation relating to sites of special environmental or historical interest and/or where we are building new overhead lines or substations.  For example we may need consents from local planning authorities such as Natural England, Historic England and/or the Environment Agency.  We may also need consent from the Department for Business, Energy and Industrial Strategy or the Planning Inspectorate for building new or modifying existing overhead lines.


    All permission and statutory consents must be in place before we will install and energise a new connection to our network.

  • SEPD land rights documents






  • SHEPD land rights documents